Georgia Teachers of English to
Speakers of Other Languages
Please research and consider possible covid-19 travel restrictions in your area of choice as you are applying.
Who’s Eligible: Any current Georgia TESOL member in good standing
Purpose: This grant is intended to provide assistance for an immersion experience abroad for an educator who wishes to serve his or her students better by learning more about their culture and language through experiencing the culture firsthand. It is named in honor of our late colleague and Georgia TESOL memberJohn Stowe who was constantly learning languages, traveling, and spending time with students in order to better understand their culture. John also firmly believed that a strong sense of place is a vital part of being truly immersed and connected to a community. Here are just a few examples of the many ways in which this grant could be used:
Amount: up to $2000
Criteria: Applications are evaluated on the basis of (a) rationale, (b) relevance, (c) impact, (d) implementation plan, and (e) evaluation plan. Applicants are encouraged to view this rubric that will be used by the review panel.
1. The grant will be offered on a yearly basis.
2. The Review Committee may recommend to divide the grant between 2 or more recipients.
3. The recipient(s) and other applicants will be notified of the committee's decision.
4. A grantee may not reapply for at least three years.
5. The Review Committee may decide that no grant will be provided for a given year.
6. The grantee agrees to share grant results with members through a presentation related to the project at the Georgia TESOL conference, an article related to the grant for the GATESOL Newsletter or GATESOL In Action Journal, or other approved posts via social media outlets
All GATESOL grant funds will be disbursed through reimbursement upon submission of receipts or invoices to the GATESOL Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The grantee agrees to:
1. Complete his/her/their travels within 1 year. Any exceptions to this must be communicated to the Grants and Awards chair.