Georgia Teachers of English to
Speakers of Other Languages
Please research and consider possible covid-19 travel restrictions in your area of choice as you are applying.
Who’s Eligible: Any current Georgia TESOL member.
Purpose: This grant was created to support a teacher or a teacher trainer/supervisor who wishes to attend the International TESOL Convention. It is named in memory of Beverly Benson, an incredibly competent and compassionate educator and leader who was beloved by all that had the pleasure to know her. In addition to her devotion to her students and colleagues at Georgia Perimeter College, where she served as chair of the Department of ESL, Bev gave generously of her time, energy and intelligence to Georgia TESOL and International TESOL. She also co-authored grammar and writing textbooks with Pat Byrd, including Applied English Grammar and Problem/Solution: A Reference for ESL Writers, both of which are still in use by ESL/EFL teachers.
Amount: up to $1500
Criteria: Applications are evaluated on the basis of (a) rationale, (b) relevance, (c) impact, (d) implementation plan, and (e) evaluation plan. Applicants are encouraged to view this rubric that will be used by the review panel.
How to apply:
Due Date: Applications and one letter of recommendation must be received on or before January 31st.
Review Committee: Three or more Members-at-Large of the Georgia TESOL Executive Board will conduct a blind review of all complete applications.
1. The grant will be offered on a yearly basis.
2. The Review Committee may recommend to divide the grant between 2 or more recipients.
3. The recipient(s) and other applicants will be notified of the committee's decision.
4. A grantee may not reapply for at least three years.
5. The Review Committee may decide that no grant will be provided for a given year.
6. The grantee agrees to share grant results with members through a presentation related to the project at the Georgia TESOL conference, an article related to the grant for the GATESOL Newsletter or GATESOL In Action Journal, or other approved posts via social media outlets
All GATESOL grant funds will be disbursed through reimbursement upon submission of receipts or invoices to the GATESOL Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any questions regarding the grant can be directed to the Grants & Awards Chair at email@example.com